Update: Oct 2017
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Best mobility scooter reviews
- 3 What to look for when choosing a mobility scooter
- 4 Best mobility scooter reviews 2017-2018
- 5 Factors you should consider before buying a mobility scooter
- 5.1 Your mobility
- 5.2 Your ability to move or walk
- 5.3 Your ability to stay balance
- 5.4 Your weight
- 5.5 Your perception ability
- 5.6 Dementia and the use of mobility scooter
- 5.7 Sight impairment and the use of mobility scooter
- 5.8 Your mobility and the use of mobility scooter
- 5.9 Your comfortability when using the scooter
- 5.10 Where you want to travel with the mobility scooter
- 6 Mobility scooter definition
- 7 Classes of mobility scooters
- 8 Boot scooter or foldable mobility scooter
- 9 Factor you should consider when choosing a mobility scooter
- 10 Accessories available for the mobility scooters
If you are in a trouble of walking reasonable distances and there are little time your family members can support you to move, you might consider to buy or to rent a mobility scooter. A mobility scooter is a kind of wheelchair with electric motors that help you to move easier. Sometimes, it is called as an electric scooter too.
Before jumping to choose any mobility scooter, you should think ahead of several factors about your personal health status as well as the scooter’s features and benefits, so you can choose the best model fits to your situation.
In this guide I will help you go through these factors so that you can have a better buying decisions after all.
Best mobility scooter reviews
Below is the top rated mobility scooters for seniors which is featured by best for small apartment, best price, best for travelers, best for long driving.
|No||Brand and Model||View Photo||Type||Recommended for||Main Benefits||Details|
|1||Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel||3 Wheel||daily use with less charging time||Best portable|
Small, compact and durable which is very great for daily use and have a greater portability
|2||Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter||3 Wheel||Boot car model|
Best for portability
|Best for travel|
Very lightweight and fit to a luggage
|3||Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel||4 Wheel||rough terrains||Best price|
Steady on rough terrain
Long drive range per charging time
|4||Pride Mobility Go-Go Sport 4-wheel Electric Travel Scooter Heavy Duty S74||4 wheel||daily use with big person||Best functions|
A lot of accessories, led light system, extremely lightweight (87lbs.)
|5||E-Wheels - EW-36 Full-Sized Scooter - 3-Wheel||3 Wheel||long distance travel, high-speed travel (max: 18 miles per hour)||Best for long drive|
Drive range: 45 miles in a single charge
highest speed (18 mph)
What to look for when choosing a mobility scooter
What type of mobility scooter you should choose is basically depended on your personal demands and living conditions that’s why you need to consider important factors that affect to your usage.
You have limited space
When you need a mobility scooter for using indoor mostly, or when your door width is below 1 meter then you should choose a model which is compact, lightweight and easy for maneuvering around. Because you are using indoor most of the time, you do not need a scooter with high speed or long drive range (those model for using on-road and they are more expensive). Last but not least, pay attention to the clearance (the distance from the floor to lowest point of the scooter, the higher the better).
You need to travel frequently
When you need a mobility scooter for travelling, especially to travel by plane, you should choose a mobility scooter which is lightweight, foldable and has a battery that comply to the airline regulation (not all scooter’s battery can be carried on air). Those mobility scooter for air travelling is a bit expensive compared to regular models. In case you are in a tight budget, and you do not travel by airplane, then you can choose a scooter which is lightweight, foldable (or detachable) which can fit in a boot car. This type of scooter is cheaper than those for air traveler so you can save up to $1000. Here are best rated mobility scooters for travelling
|No||Brand/ Model||View Photo||Type||Weight||Main benefits||Details|
|1||Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter||3 wheel||58 lbs (without battery)||complied with air regulation|
lightweight, foldable, comfortable, ergonomic design
|2||SmartScoot Mobility Scooter||3 wheel||40 lbs (with battery)||Lightest scooter on the market|
Steel frame for durability
|3||EV Rider Transport - Demo Model - Foldable Travel Senior Electric Mobility Scooter||4 wheel||53 lbs (without battery)||complied with air regulation|
Easy steering and reliable
|4||Transformer Electric Folding Mobility Scooter||4 wheel||53 lbs (without battery)||complied with air regulation|
Exclusive remote control folding!!
When you need a mobility scooter for run errands and go to grocery
There are quite many mobility scooter can perform very well when running both indoor and outdoor. When choosing a scooter for this purpose, you should choose the unit which has good wheels so you won’t feel bumpy when running on rough terrains (ideally, it should have suspension coil). Besides, the scooter with basket will be an additional advantage so you can store things easily (some types of scooters allow you to install rear basket, front basket and back basket). Last but not least, because you use the scooter on the road, therefore you need to choose scooter which has a long battery use and higher max speed so you won’t afraid the battery shortage when you are on road
When you are a big person
Every mobility scooter will have its maximal weight support, ranging from 265 lbs. to 350 lbs., therefore if you are a big person, you need a scooter that can support your weight and your belongings. For example if you are 300 lbs., you need a scooter that can support up to 325 lbs. Here are top mobility scooter for big person
When you need to drive for long range
A normal mobility scooter can support max driving range of roughly 10 km-15km, however there are certain types that can support up to 50 km per single charge. If you need to drive for long distance, then consider to choose the scooter with highest max speed.
Best mobility scooter reviews 2017-2018
#1. Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel
The Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel from Drive Medical is a compact, lightweight and easy-to-dissemble mobility scooter. The scooter is steady for running in rough road condition. It is detachable into 5 pieces so you can bring it when traveling too. There are a lots of features that will maximize your comfort level such as padded swivel seat, backrest and armrests, anti-tip wheels and stable steering column in delta shape. Most of users choose this 4 wheel travel scooter because it is affordable and very comfortable when using.
Pros and Cons of Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel
- It has most of the accessories such as rear baskets, cup holders,…
- The battery can be upgraded to 20 amps., this is a great plus point because not many models can do that
- Can use for long time before re-charging, quiet when running, comfortable when sitting and steady on rough terrain.
- Some users said it 94 pounds weight is a bit heavy, but actually it is a lightweight model.
Features of the Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel
- Lightweight 94 pounds
- Stability on rough outdoor road.
- Comfort maximized with adjustable padded swivel seat, backrest, and armrests.
- Delta-shaped steering handle makes driving effortless, even with limited dexterity.
- Equipped with non-marking, anti-tip wheels
- Seat Width: 16.5 inch; Max Speed: 4.25 mph
- Climbing Angle: 6 degrees
- Maximum Range: 9 miles
- Motor: 24V x 270W x 4700rpm; Turning Radius: 53.75 inch
- Ground Clearance: 2.5 inch
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Product Dimensions: 42.5 x 20.5 x 36 inches
The Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter is a great mobility scooter at the bargain price (at $600 range ). The scooter delivers nonparallel comfortability when using and steady even on rough road or snowy condition. It is suitable for people who need to use daily for going outdoor to the groceries or parks on their own and casual travel trips.
#2. Pride Mobility Go-Go Sport 4-wheel Electric Travel Scooter Heavy Duty S74
An affordable option for bigger person
The Pride Mobility Go-Go Sport 4-wheel Electric Travel Scooter Heavy Duty S74 is a lightweight mobility scooter for large person. While most of the 4 wheel scooters can support 300 lbs. max, this 4 wheel model can support person with maximal 325 lbs. Similar to other top rated 4 wheel models, it is designed with great features such as detachable into 5 pieces, adjustable upholstered seat, backrest and armrests to let users feel comfortable, delta tiller for easy control and a lighting system included so you can run when it is dark outside too. Moreover, this model comes with a lot of accessories so you do not need to buy separately. Rating 5.0/5.0 from users claiming it is the most satisfied 4 wheel model. One downside is the price (above $1000) but it is worth for the quality of the device.
Pros and Cons of the Pride Mobility Go-Go Sport 4-wheel Electric Travel Scooter Heavy Duty S74
- Lightweight but can support large person
- Luxurious materials for seating
- A lot of accessories included
- It is over $1000 range
Pride Mobility Go-Go Sport 4-wheel Electric Travel Scooter Heavy Duty S74 is a perfect 4 wheel mobility scooter when money is not of your concerns. The model is more luxurious than Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel and it can support for larger person.
#3. Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel
The Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel is another option which is also one of the greatest mobility scooter which is designed with 3 wheels to be more compact and portable for using indoor/outdoor. The main difference with the 4 wheel model is that it is smaller in size, lighter in weight. This 3 wheel model is aimed for using on normal terrains while its counterpart can be used on rough terrain too. Therefore, consider of the geography of your local road, the three wheel model can be a better version.
Pros and Cons of Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel
- Small, compact and durable which is very great for daily use and have a greater portability
- Simple to use, good battery and long warranty time
- It is not for rough terrain use. Also, the maximal speed is only 4.25 miles per hours.
Features of the Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel
- Weight Capacity up to 300 Pounds
- Quick and easy disassembling
- Armrests are padded and adjustable.
- Easy-to-adjust tiller with ergonomic throttle control.
- Maximum Range: 9 Miles, Max Speed 4.25 Miles Per Hour
- Large, plastic carry basket.
- Height-adjustable swivel seat with fold-down backrest
- Quick connect batteries
- Flat-free, non-marking tires and anti-tip wheels.
- Interchangeable color panels hide scuffs and scratches.
- Seat Dimensions (Inches): 16.5 (W) x 16(D) x 17-19(H)
The Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter three wheels is the best value mobility scooter for daily travel and its portability is highly appreciated when traveling. It is lightweight, compact and easy to use which is highly recommended as a device for regular mobility. For those who want to travel, this Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter three wheels gives more advantages than the four wheels version
#4. E-Wheels – EW-36 Full-Sized Scooter – 3-Wheel
Recommended for long drive (maximal 45 miles run per one charging time)
The EW-36 Full-Sized Scooter – 3-Wheel is a great option for long drive range as its maximum drive range is up to 45 miles in a single charge. If you are aiming for less charging model, robust performance and maximal comfortability with large padded seat, armrests and more, the EW-36 Full-Sized Scooter – 3-Wheel is the best one. However, because it is a heavy duty mobility scooter, you should bear in mind its weight is 200 pounds.
Pros and Cons of EW-36 Full-Sized Scooter – 3-Wheel
- Longest drive range (45 miles) in a single charge
- Comfortable padded seat, large basket, rear shock aborbers
- Best for large person (it can support up to 350 lbs)
- Ready to use as it is fully assembled
- Anti-theft function.
- Not for traveling
Features and benefits of EW-36 Full-Sized Scooter – 3-Wheel
- This scooter is loaded with features, including a very comfortable large padded seat, reverse switch, armrests, headlights, a large storage basket.
- Ready to use
- Maximal speed: 18.00 miles per hour
- Drive Range: 45.00 Miles
- Wheel Type: 3-wheel
- Weight Capacity: 350 Lbs.
- Product Dimensions: 61 x 29 x 41 inches
- 200 pounds
- 3 year warranty
The EV-36 delivers a more robust, heavy duty performance. If you are about to travel for longer distance and you want a faster device, the EV-36 definitely a better choice.
#5. Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter
The unique design of the Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter make this model the greatest one for traveling. Instead on placing the motor under the seat like most of the scooter, this device has an in-wheel-motor installment. As a result, the steering control is easier to use, save more spaces, and lighter in weight compared to all other boot mobility scooter. Thanks to its uniqueness, the Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter has a five star wining award in Excellent Design. You can fold the device and put it into a luggage easily.
Pros and cons of Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter
- Smartest design with greatest portability, design
- Steady performance
- Very lightweight and fit to a luggage
- Heavy duty nylon travel cover included
- Actually there was no complain about this mobility scooter in any aspect today. The only issue that has been covered so far is that there was only one customer who bought the device by a second-line agency and she get a bit trouble to work with them. So, please check accordingly to by directly from the fist-line manufacturer (Luggie is the manufacturer name, to be precise).
The Easy Travel Elite Folding Lightweight Travel Electric Mobility Scooter is much more an “elite” scooter device which is easy to use and to take part and put back. It is the greatest option if you want to bring a mobility scooter when traveling.
Factors you should consider before buying a mobility scooter
Mobility scooter has a lot of variations in size, type, motor power, speed, collateral support, price, weight and more. The best mobility scooter does not need to be expensive, but it has to give the utmost needs to your situation. Now let’s go through them one by one
It means your ability to move such as walking, sitting, standing, adjusting your body from other places to the mobility scooter and how you feel when sitting on the scooter (is it comfortable or not)
Your ability to move or walk
This implies how long you can walk or stand on your own. Some persons can walk for a short distances without feeling tiredness but others have a less tolerance level.
Your ability to stay balance
You should count how easy you can stay steady and in a good position when using the scooter.
If you are having a large weight, you should aim to choose the mobility which is designed for large person to ensure you are safe when using it. Usually the mobility scooter parameters will show the maximal weight it can support in the machine’s description.
Your perception ability
It can be unsafe if you loss sight or perception. In this case, using a mobility scooter alone is dangerous and I highly recommend you should look for another alternative. These internal factors are very important contributing to the choice of the best mobility scooter, so you need to think about them throughout, not only at current stage but in later one up to five years later. Because a mobility scooter is not a cheap vehicle, you should plan ahead if your health is on deteriorating progress.
Dementia and the use of mobility scooter
Dementia is a kind of brain illness that will progress persistently year by year, causing impairments in thinking, remembering ability and losing sight. For people with dementia at first stage, using a mobility is possible. However, when the illness gets worse, especially when they are getting confused on using the scooter’s functions, I advise to stop for using the vehicle.
Sight impairment and the use of mobility scooter
To person with bad eyesight, you should take the minimal visual test. If you are about 6/24, it is ok to use the mobility scooter. Although there are no regulation requirements about eyesight ability, you should assure to be able to judge the spaces, see the roads, pavements, obstacles, pedestrians and so on.
Your mobility and the use of mobility scooter
Nowadays, there are a lots of changes have been made to help you to transfer from and out of the mobility scooter easier. If your mobility level is low, you should check the the scooter with the below functions
- Swivel seat: some mobility scooters have swivel seats installed within, so you can transfer very easy. (Otherwise, you can order a swivel seat separately if your model does not have)
- Armrest: some models have the fold-able armrests which allows a better support when you transfer
- Movable tiller: the tiller (control column) can move forwards, giving you more spaces when getting in.
Your comfortability when using the scooter
Your comfortability when using the mobility scooter is much depended on the seated position and how you balance yourself on it. There are several features that support the your comfort such as
- Contoured and padded on seat and backrest
- Adjustable seat height and backrest
- Space of the seat should be large enough even when you wear thick clothing for winter but not too large causing you to sway when seating.
Where you want to travel with the mobility scooter
This is also another important factor. This will define what type of the scooter you need. You can ask yourself
- You want to use the mobility scooter for indoor or for outdoor
- You want to travel with the mobility scooter for short distance or a longer trip
- You travel area situation (pavements, kerbs,…)
Mobility scooter definition
Mobility scooter or motor powered vehicle is medical devices for those who cannot walk or have trouble in walking.
Classes of mobility scooters
Mobility scooters is divided into 2 types (legal regulations put them into class 2 and class 3 of invalid carriage), which are different in weight and speed. Generally speaking, Class 2 mobility scooters are smaller, lightweight, for indoor/ outdoor use but the speed is lower than Class 3.
Main features of Class 2 mobility scooters
- Smaller in size
- Less powerful motor (slow speed)
- For using indoor/ outdoor
- Can be foldable
- Can not be used on road
- Have mode for climbing kerbs (outdoor models)
- Maximum speed is about 4 mile per hour
Importantly, the use of Class 2 mobility scooter doe not require to register a legal license with the authorities.
- They can have 3 wheels or 4 wheels
Main features of Class 3 mobility scooters
- Bigger in size
- Heavy weight
- More powerful motor (faster when moving)
- Can only used for outdoor
- Can be used on road
- Can travel for longer trip
- Can not be folded
- Maximum speed is 8 miles per hour on road and 4 miles per hour off road
- Must register a legal driving license
Boot scooter or foldable mobility scooter
The boot mobility scooter is a Class 2 model, which is designed to fit with the boot of a car, so you can bring the scooter when traveling. You have to check for the boot size to make sure the scooter will fit into the boot space. Most of the boot scooters are lightweight. Read folding mobility scooter reviews here
Factor you should consider when choosing a mobility scooter
Now its the time to consider some key factors before making the final choice. Type of the mobility scooter It is important that the type of mobility scooter will affect how you maneuver around. The Class 2 models can only use off roads for short distances, the Class 3 can use off road and on road too, but it is heavier and requires a license. Advise yourself how so you want to move and pick the suitable class. Power range of the mobility scooter The power range is all about how long you can run your scooter before re-charging. The frequency of re-charging battery will depend on how far you move and how often you move with the scooter. The battery is also the heaviest part of the scooter, you should make sure to check if it can be dismantled for easier charging or not. Key takeaway
- If you run the mobility scooter daily, charge it overnight
- If you run the vehicle less often, charge it once per week
- If you don’t run the vehicle for a while, also charge it once per month to ensure the battery is working fine.
The speed of the mobility scooter
This will affect on how fast you can move. Sometimes, a low speed scooter is better if you have problems with cognitive ability or sight seeing. On the other hands, if you are in a better health, you can choose the model at maximal speed to get more power from your money.
Battery shelf- lifetime
Most of the mobility scooters use one among three types: lead acid, gel cells and AGM. Depending on the battery type, some can have a longer shelf lifetime. However it is recommended to change the battery after 12-18 months.
Make sure the mobility scooter you want to buy has spare parts for the battery especially when you choose old models or rare models or second-hand models.
Special deal: Boot mobility scooter If you want to use mobility scooter even when traveling, boot mobility scooter is the version allows you to bring them easily during the trip.
Comfortability when using the scooter The comfortability of the mobility scooter is how you feel when seating on it. This is based on a series of factors such as the scooter design’s of seating, backrest, adjustable seat and backrest, materials and your personal health status. You should consider these factors all the time. Check the list of factor here
Accessories available for the mobility scooters
There are a lot of accessories that might include in the package or you can buy separately, such as Scooter covers The covers can be for the seat/ steering column only or for the whole vehicle. They can be heavy or lightweight and most of them are water resistant. Mobility scooter cape This is useful if you are in rainy days. The cape will cover your body and the whole scooter, and there will be clear part from which the control can be visually seen. Scooter bags and baskets Those baskets are varied in size, designs and installing position (side, back or head of the scooter) Walking stick holders Seat cushions Price A mobility scooter can have a price of $1000 upwards. If you are price-conscious, check for the best mobility scooter in $1000 range here.